Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The traveling artist

What a nightmare this traveling internationally with your paints is :( whether u wanna paint phein air style or just paint in a gallery situation as an artist in residence its drama filled . I came to the conclusion that to save issues at customs i would send my case boxed to location rather than take it with me . Of course it could go in checked in luggage for domestic travel but international will be near impossible .

Yes your thinking its water based and acrylic so it should be ok right . The word paint sends alarm bells out at airports. Dont even think of trying to travel with oil paint that would be an artists worst nightmare .  Water soluble oil paints would be best if u were an oil devote , due to the flammable nature . You would also have to use words like "oil colours" rather than mention the alarm bell word paint. Even with acyrlic i have a full list of ingredients downloaded from manufacturers of my paint just so there are no dramas whatsoever . ohhhhhh and forget the varnish or get a water based one or buy this at your location .

I picked a very good quality make up artist train case for my paints , as its looks nice lets face it . I however dont expect this to travel like this its will be bubble wrapped and boxed so i might get a few years out of it I hope :).When painting overseas i do not travel light etc as i have to leave paintings in galleries that are the same beautiful standard as here in Australia .So i need everything i use here but just smaller amounts . My brushes always travel with me in my checked in luggage as in my eyes they are just to expensive to loose . I am a brush snob i admit .!!!!!!!Also my sketch book also travels with me the same way i would never want to loose that . Paint can be replaced sketches cant .

Stretched canvas is also packed or could be easily brought overseas depending on your location . I take mine and make sure the backs are ready for hanging so its just one less thing to worry about . I am not taking pliers flying that look like knifes . ohhhhhh and don't take metal pallet knifes take plastic one's or if you must have them in checked in luggage . I also pack all my paints in glad sandwich snap lock bags as who knows what accidents may happen in the air . Hunt out small size's of your paints if you can make things so much easier i have every colour i use in my kit . My travel paint preference is Liquidtex brand as its an international company and always available in overseas art shops . So if you run out your set . !!!!!!

I wanted to write about this is i Googled and could find next to no information on this topic. Hope you find this a bit helpful . I think there is nothing more fun than painting from life in exotic locations .It take one out of the studio and art adventures cant happen spontaneously. I love to travel as often as possible and i always find it so damn inspiring . xox

 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the beauty of your overseas experience in paint! It will be gorgeous!! A very informative post, too, for any one who wants to go on an artistic adventure! So happy for you, keep us posted, Darling Artistic Heart! Xx

    ReplyDelete